Introduction to Residential Construction
The Introduction to Residential Construction Trades program will give you the skills and training you need to get a job in this quickly-growing sector.
- Get hands-on training in Mohawk College’s world-class facilities
- Limited Spaces Available!
WAGE III: Introduction to Residential Construction Trades is a 3-stage career exploration and training program.
Delivery: Six half-day sessions delivered over 3 weeks.
Location: Mohawk College Community Employment Services, Centennial Site
Spaces Available: 15 per Cohort, 120 students
- Introduction to construction career pathways and businesses.
- Personalized pathway goal setting, recommendations, and referrals.
- Assistance with resume, job search, and interview skills.
- Earn a Work Ethic micro-credential from Mohawk College.
- Upcoming dates:
Cohort 7 – October 16, 2023, to November 1, 2023 – Mondays & Wednesdays, 9 am to 12 pm
Cohort 8 – November 7, 2023, to November 23, 2023 – Tuesdays & Thursdays, 9 am to 12 pm
Delivery: 4 full days per week for 8 weeks
Location: Eva Rothwell Centre (460 Wentworth St N, Hamilton, ON L8L 5W8)
Spaces Available: 12 per Cohort (selected from successful Stage 1 participants)
- Hands-on introduction to framing, drywalling, tiling, and plumbing fixture installation.
- Continued pathway goal setting, recommendations, and referrals.
- Industry Certifications:
- First Aid & CPR
- WHMIS & PPE
- Health & Safety Awareness
- Asbestos Awareness
- Working at Heights
- Confined Space Entry
- Fire Watch
- Propane in Construction CH-02
- Oxy-Acetylene Cutting & Burning
- Upcoming Dates:
Cohort 1 – July 3, 2023, to August 25, 2023
Cohort 2 – September 25, 2023, to November 17, 2023
Cohort 3 – December 4, 2023, to February 2, 2024 (no classes from Dec. 25 to Jan.1)
Delivery: 8 weeks
Location: Various local employers
Spaces Available: 12 per Cohort (successful Stage 2 participants), 36 students
Cohort 1 – August 28, 2023, to October 20, 2023
Cohort 2 – November 20, 2023, to January 19, 2024
Cohort 3 – February 5, 2024, to March 29, 2024
We welcome applications from all those interested in WAGE, but please note that priority will be given to those who:
- are 19 years of age or older (High school completion is NOT a requirement).
- are women or gender-diverse folks.
- are Indigenous or racialized; and/or newcomers.
- have no, or limited, post-secondary education (i.e., college, university, apprenticeship).
- live within the community in which the course(s) is being offered.
- receive government assistance (i.e., Ontario Works, ODSP).
We do our best to make case-by-case considerations.
Should class registration not be full by the application deadline, applicants who do not meet the criteria will be considered on a chronological basis.
Wrap-around supports (at no cost to the participant):
If you are interested in joining the W.A.G.E. Exposure to Construction Trades program, apply below.
Join us at an upcoming information session at 10 am to determine if you qualify. Click your preferred date below to register.